So after hitting a low spot, things are getting better though it´s still a little rough. However, I finally understand pretty much everything I hear and can carry a conversation. SO i am understanding at more about what is going on and why. After a long talk with the director one really important thing I learn is that the home is not an orphanage. I had my suspicions but wasn´t sure who to ask or how (it could be a touchy subject you know and when you can't really choose your words carefully it´s sometimes better not to ask). All the girls who live here have been subject to some sort of abuse (physical, emotional, sexual, or neglect). But they all have families and some will go and spend the night with their family or sometimes the mothers will come visit on the weekends. I haven´t learned all thier stories but as i have now spent 4 weeks essentially watching them, let me tell you a little bit about some of them (though I´m going to use their names).
The youngest girls are 2 and 3. They are sisters and have been living in the house since last January. They are both very cute with big brown eyes and bright smiles. They constantly want to play with whoever is available and whatever new thing might have happened to appear that day (boxes, dolls, old pillows, etc). The younger one does and says everything that the older one does. They both go to kindgarten (though at different times) and wear these precious little green and red frocks. The older one however is one of the most stubborn children i´ve ever met. in the morning, you have to dress her before waking her because she won´t ever get dressed. If you tell her to do something she will just give you a death look and sit there. Anyways I am definitely getting practice in spanish commands.
The next oldest is 11. She is a normally quite girl with long brown hair and very thin. She just got glasses and is very self-conscience when she has to wear them. the odler girls seems to give her a hard time but at the same time she tries to be cool like them while at the same time is still very much a child who just needs some attention and freedom to play and discover things.
Then there is a 12 year old, two 13 year olds, and a 14 year old. They all seem much older then thier ages. They spend all their free time listening and dancing to music and fixing their hair. One of them collects everything she can... little stones, candy wrappers, cards, everything. They spend the little bit of money they have (maybe a dollar a week or so) on candy and stuff for thier hair.
The four oldest girls all share a room and are the seconds mothers of the younger ones. One of them has been living in the house for 8 years and is the one who tries the most to connect with all of the youngers ones. She is very gracious and happy and keeps telling the 13 year old to speak slower to me cause i don´t understand.
The two oldest girls like to cook and constantly ask me when i´m going to go out dancing with them (i keep saying next week maybe). They also know all the gossip of the house and are determined to find a boy friend for me. They both work in a pottery shop and will probably continue to do this once they are done with school. They are allowed to live in the house until they are 21 but they will probably leave before that.
There are a few other girls who seem to live here kinda part time a come and go. It´s very informal and there are very few rules, though each girl does have her chores and usually they are good about doing them. They all like to listen to music really loud and watch telenovelas and the simpsons. Hair styles are also very important and the shared brush can never be found. Also the one things they all wanted in their rooms was mirror and they keeping asking when it will come.
I have also been given the specific task of sleeping in the house sunday to thursday nights. This means I am the only adult there and am responsible for locking up the house (there are 15 keys which all look alike and literally it takes me 10 mintues to lcok each door.) I also get to wake everyone up in the morning, which is not an easy task. But it seems that I mostly have my days free to do as I please and I have friday and saturdays off. So things seem to be settling into a routine which is good. So now I´m going to the cultural center in town to see if there are some events or classes i could take to have something to do. So hasta luego!
1 comment:
Dear Mae, I just wrote you a really long email and now I've lost it. Anyway, I'm leaving for China Tomorrow AM and I'll write more when I get back. Sounds like you're having some challenging experiences and I will share some of mine that I had in France when I get back. Take care and hasta la vuega, tambien. Anne
Post a Comment