After my stint as a kindergartener, the weekend started off with a parilla or cook out as a birthday celebration for one of the boys (in the other house). Pretty much the meal consisted of meat, sausage, and bread. It was great. They cook massive amounts and you can smell it everywhere especially since everyone else in the neighborhood is doing the same thing. Once it's cooked, a mass riot of eating ensues. Unfortunately there was a shortage of knives and forks so some had to revert to other methods. There was also cake, which had dulce de leche of course. If something is sweet in the country it probably has dulce de leche in it. It is a carmel like treat that literaly translates as sweet of milk. So far my favorite form is in this cake which has brownie for the bottom layer, then a layer of dulce de leche, then a layer of whipped cream. It's rich, googy, melts in your mouth, and the whipped cream makes it just light enough that it seems like you could eat without ever stopping. I have decided that it is best that I enjoy this treat at least once a week for my sanity.
Anyways, after the brithday festivities, I went out with some other volunteers from France, Greece, and Spain. I must admit, considering I live in the boonies of Buenos Aires, that I was doubtful of any decent night life here in Moreno (not that i'm particualy pick but...). Walking down the street there did seem to be a few places open so we picked a bar and went it. It was a pretty nice place and even had merenge dancers to watch. It was a nice girls night out and well at least there is something here.
Saturday, I trekked into the city via bus, train, and subte to visit my american friend. Despite some overcast weather we had a lovely day that began with a traditional norhtern argentine meal. It was some of the heartiest food I have had here and hit the spot. It was rather similar to Shepphards pie with a meat soupish concotion on bottow and potatoes on top. Afterwards, we went to the MALBA museum which is the modern latin american art museum. It had some very interesting peieces, as most modern art museumes do, though i was quite impressed by many of the Argentine artisits. They also show tons of artsy movies. We caught one and to be honest i have no idea what it as about. First, it was in spanish. Second it was just these two people talking and acting in monotone about dancing. Some people in the theater started laughing and seemed to think it was quite funny. Anyways i guess it just didn't translate.
Afterwards we dicided to organize an expat dinner. and what kind of food were we all craving? Mexican. So we headed to palermo and found a mexican joint (we believe there are two, though rumors also mention a Chipotle like place which i will be scouting out soon). Almost before we were all seated we ordered guacamole, someting apparently we were all craving. We practically licked the bowl and then decided to just order another one. I ordered a burrito and when i asked what was on it was told meat. I said yes but what else. Nothing and no we can't put guacamole on it. Anyways it was good and the spiciest thing I've eaten here yet, which means it would rank way mild at any Amerian Mexican palce and most real Mexicans would probably scoff at it. But, i was happy.
Sunday ended up being a lovely day to just walk around. The coolest thing we found was this bookstore that is in an old theater. Many of the features are still there and there is a cafe on what used to be the stage. It was definitely a place I could have spent hours in despite the fact I can't read most of the books (the child's section unfortunately was not extensive).
Anyways another thing I have realized is that at about the same pace my spanish is improving my english is deteroriating. Pretty soon I probably won't be able to communicate at all in either langauge. Though I guess I can also blame it on the computer which seems to have some of it's symbols mixed up. Anyways, buenos noches.
2 comments:
Thanks a lot Mae! Now I am craving Mexican food! Loved your story. You are doing such good work there - they are lucky to have you. Your dad is very proud of you and the work you are doing. He is moving to a larger office in the Business Office building on Dodds Ave. I will miss him being in this building. Now, I think I will go and eat some chips and salsa and think of your funny story.
Keep up the good work Mae,
William Newberry
Mae Mae, I love reading your blog. I actually made guacamole tonight and tried to recreate the stuff we had in Mexico but mine didn't hold a candle to it... or probably to the stuff you got in Argentina. I'm so proud of you for being down there and learning a whole new lanuage. I hope you are having the time of your life.
Love you,
Audrey
Post a Comment