August 19, 2007

Colombia

So I came back to South America for a few more weeks before hitting the real world. The reason for my trip was, of course, CISV. My frist ten days was spent in Paipa, Colombia, at the annual international meeting with about 250 people from 50ish different countires. To get to Paipa, ie not Bogota where everyone thought we were going, we had to take a typical Latin American bus ride. Those who had death defying drivers that tilted on the edge of the cliffs and went head on to oncoming traffic to pass other cars, made it is about 3.5 hours. Others with less dare devil drivers took somewhere betwen 4 and 6. Thankfully I was prepared for this and really just laughed at all the people who felt their life had flashed before them.

Overall the meeting went very well and I have little to note on it. The presentation I was here to give on exclusion and inclusion with Justin kept getting postponed but in the end went very well. The most interesting part however, is probably the excursion I went on.

About 9 of us went to a local school to meet some kids who were studying tourism and need to meet some foriegners. We didn´t really know what to expect but upon arrival they had a wonderful presentation about their community, the key feature of which is a huge statue commemorating a battle fought by Simon Bolivar. When we went out to actually see said monument, one student was dressed like Bolivar and was atop a hosre to give us the official tour. This was followed by a reenactment of the battle which was basically two guys on horses galloping aound the monument. Classic.

After that we ended up doing CISV energizers with the kids who at first were rather embarassed but eventually got into it. We also all introduce ourselves and then let the kids ask questions all of which were addressed to the girl from Egpyt about pyramids. But all in all, it was a lovely expreince and a nice chance to interact with the kids.

After the meeting ended, most people stayed in Bogota for at least a day as flights were hard to catch. So we, being about 100 people, all went to the largest restaurant/bar/disco I have ever seen. After going through the various security points (of which I now know there are many to get in just about everywhere), we were offered a shot of tequilla served in a lime with the middle cut out and rimmed with salt. It was like a classy BS.

The night continued with people ordering massive steaks, drinks that came in the shaker, and mardi gras type parades going through the whole place. While most of the place was very classy, the two other Americans and I were completely horrified when they started handing out Mammy masks and then people in black face came dancing through. Unfortunately, we never got a satisfying explanation for this and just continued to be shocked. But in the end it was a great final party in true Colombia style.

No comments: