May 17, 2007

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Ok obvious title... that is if I had written this 5 weeks ago when i was actually leaving Argentina. But, maybe cause I'm in denile that it's over or i've just been too lazy, I am now finally getting down my last thoughts and experiences on my South American Adventure.

So, I took my last over night bus from Cordoba to Buenos Aires with Natalie and her friend Sara. We got to BA and checked into the apartment we rented for the week. It was perfectly located in San Telmo. Wanting to hit all my favorite spots, I had my last few days more or less planned out. Savoring my final days I:

-Ate at my favorite restaurants: Olsens for Scandinavia brunch, Mott for the best bread ever, the moroccan place which actually had food with a little spice, and Des Nivel for my last big steak dinner which of course they were out of along with chicken, potatoes, and anything i wanted. I complained and then was concosled by the owner on my bad luck.

-went shopping at all my favorite stores knowing i won't be able to shop in the US for at least a year cause i won't be able to believe the prices or pay them. I went on a spree at Rhapsodia, Complot, and all the fun liitle boutiques in Palermo and San Telmo then threw out most of the clothes i brought with me to make room.

- visited the recoleta and san telmo weekend markets. these markets may just be my favorite thing and what i will miss the most.

- i made sure to take lots of bus rides and just enjoy the bumpy, hot, crowded views of the city. also something i will miss.

-I finally took pictures of some of the main attractions knowing it really was finally my last chance. thank goodness it was a prefectly sunny day.

-I spent lots of time saying goodbye to the new friends i had made and to those with whom my friendship had grown deeper. I know i will see many of them again at some point in my adventures but it was very sad to be leaving them and the life i had behind. they are the ones who made it the most fun. who brought humor to lonely times, and were always there to share a mate.

Looking back on it all, I can't say it was all great. In fact, a good bit of my trip was pretty awful. But I learned alot. I learned things about my self, about culture, about other people and how we must live together and work together. I learned about being resourceful and about being dependent. I saw many places different from any i've seen before and talked with many people unlike ones i've known before. i ate different foods, learned why they are important to their culture, and what memories the smells bring back for those who know them so well. I learned the truth and lies behind so many stereotypes, prejudices, misconceptions, and misunderstandings.

it was not my frist experience like this nor, i expect, will it be my last. but it was very significant and, good and bad times, I am glad I went, did, saw, ate, smelled, and lived for it was a great adventure. now on to the next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

on to the next--cheers!! i wonder what that will bring. good things, i'm sure. thanks for calling last week; it's ALWAYS delightful to hear from you. take care and know you're welcome in charleston as soon as you can get here! MWAH