So in preparation for my travels, which will begin later today, I have spent the last week running around BA trying to buy all the last minute things I might need like hiking boots, flash lights, and other such gear. I also spent alot of time at the pharmacy getting some meds like really strong diarrhea medicine, malaria tablets, and allergy pills, all just in case. However, one vaccination that I was missing and don't really want to recieve on the Peruvian border is Yellow fever.
Luckily, my friend had seen in the newspaper info about free yellow fever vaccines. She sent me the info and i started reading it. It was in spanish but I understood all the info and instructions until a cetain line. It said you needed to bring your passport and una jeringa descartable. So i looked it up and was quite surprised to find out it meant i needed to take my own sterilized, disposable syringe. This was a bit worrisome but i went back to the pharmacy and bought one with surprising little trouble.
So i went at the appointed time and first I went in the wrong building with horrendous lines, one of which I waited in only to be told i needed to cross the street. There waiting for me was a government clinic which looked like what you imagine clinics in the middle of India or Africa to be like. I walked into an empty room without a receptionist or even any signs pointing where to go. After I peeked down a few hallways, a guy on a cell phone gestured to the back. So i went that way and come into a small open area where a few guys are standing in line. Luckily there was a sign explaining about yellow fever so i knew i was in the right place. The guys told me i needed to give them my passport, which i reluctantly handed over praying i would see it again. So with needle in hand, I waited until they called out "Cooper" and it was my turn.
I walked into the stall ready to give the woman my needle. But before I could do anything, she pulled up my sleeve, stuck a different needle in my arm, and then put a bit of cotton over it and told me to go. I wasn't really sure what happened but I guessed I had my shot and i hoped it was sterile and I left.
So now that I am yellow fever protected and have other necessary medications in hand (and a syringe just in case) I am ready to start my travels. I am sad to be leaving BA. I have made some great friends here and have loved exploring the city. I had a great going away dinner with my friends from work and a few of my Argentine friends as well. We foreigners succeed, though smokily, to do an asado and have a wonderful time going out afterwards as well to Opera Bay, a big club modeled after the syndney opera house. But it is also time to move on in search of some new adventures. I will be travelling for two months in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Chile and then heading back to the US in April. So stay tuned for the tales to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment