December 12, 2006

Planedores

So this past weekend was long holiday here in Argentina for the Day of the Virgen. Many people headed out of town and those who didn´t headed to the mall. My room mate and i also happend to find our selves there on a quest for fans as it is sweltering hot and we are without an air conditioner. And despite this heat, there are still extensive images of Santa in wool clothing and heavy pine trees. Yes, Christmas mayhem happens here too.

It´s not quiet as hetic and overdone as the US. It´s more like every store has a small display as a tribute to Christmas in their windows. It´s just enough to remind you why you need to buy something but not enough to detract from the lovely springs colors of all the clothes, shoes, and other such apparell. The main Christmas decoration adorn the more common areas of the mall. It the case of the mall i happened to find myslef in this would have bee the amusment park inside the mall. Ferris wheel, pirate ships, bumper cars, arcade games, and even a roller coaster all inside the mall. Apparently, this mall, which is housed in a 1930´s deco building, was refurbished thanks to the finances of George Soros, the American Hungarian financier of moveon.org fame.

The amusement park inside this mall is completely done up in Christmas colors with bells and elfs adorning the edges. I didn´t actually see Santa Clause but there were lots of people standing in line at a booth so assume this is what they were waiting for. There are also hanging statues of Santa in his sleigh being pulled by his reindeer. In the US, the red nose of Rudolph always looks like a bright light bulb on the tip of his nose. here it´s more just like he has a rash or a bloody nose. Not quite as bright but maybe more realistic.

Anyways it just really doesn´t feel like Christmas. First, it´s just too hot and seasonally it just doesn´t feel right. Secondly, despite being in a Catholic country, there are few reminders of the actual reason for Chirstmas: the birth of Jesus. Actually the only thing I´ve seen even related to this is the movie that just came out (the title in English is probably something like the birth of chirst.) However, this made me think. Wasn´t it probably really hot in Israel when Jesus was born? Maybe, it´s actually more realistic here weather wise at least. And of course, this will be my first time ever to not spend Christmas in Chattanooga with the McCallie clan which I know I will sorely miss.

Anyways to divert from the Christmas festivities, my roommate and I adventured out into quite a few other activities this weekend. First, Friday night I attened my first Tango lesson. In the world of tango lessons these would probably be the equilivant of a Moonie mass wedding. Basically the huge basment was divided into three, the levels of which i didn´t learn until after joining one. First, men were told to go to one side and women to the other and then the teachers would dance in the middle to demonstrate. And since it is just that easy (sense the scarcasim), you are then told to pair up and try if out for yourself. My luck with men continued as I was asked to dance by a 70 year old who luckily knew what he was doing. He would tell me what to do and was very nice about not laughing too much when I messed up or even when I lost my shoe.

Saturday my roommate and her Argentine boyfriend asked me if I wanted to come along to go hang gliding, or well they weren´t exactly sure it was hang gliding but something having to do with flying. I said why not.

So we, along with a friend of the boyfriend, pilled in the car and drove about two hours north of the city. Upon arrival I realized we were going to be flying in those engineless planes like in Thomas Crown Affair (the newer version and for those who haven´t seen it I only know they name in spanish). You sit in the front with the pilto right behind you as there is only room for two. They explained all the gadgets and handles and stuff to us in Spanish but I just made sure there wasn´t anything i was suppossed to do. After locking down the top, the plane is pulled by another small plane up into the sky and after a certain height, the cord is let loose and you are gliding thourgh the air. It was a lovely view and would have been quite peaceful if not for the squeaking radio and stifiling heat. The manuever ability all depends on the air conditions and pretty much we just went in a ciricle and then all of sudden would do a deep drive and turn sideways. I didn´t scream but i did have to close my eyes a little. Despite being a little shaky when i landed, it was defininltey worth it.

Sunday ended our quest for a fan as I found a almost Walmartesque grocery store just a few blocks from the apartment. I also escaped the heat by going to the new James Bond movie which was quite good thogh seems to be breaking some of the 007 traditions and acknowleding modern technology in the spy field. Anyways, it if means airconditiong, I´d see it again.

No comments: